|Chocolate Cake Recipe and Tips
One type of chocolate cake that is sure to receive rave reviews is terrific
Black Forest Cake, an old-style recipe which originates from Germany. The
following chocolate cake recipe and tips will provide you and your family or
dinner guests with a confection they’ll soon not forget.
The Recipe for Black Forest Chocolate Cake
One half cup of softened butter;
One and one-quarter cups of sugar;
One and one-quarter cups of all-purpose flour;
One-half cup of unsweetened cocoa (powder form);
One-half teaspoon baking powder;
One teaspoon baking soda;
One teaspoon of vanilla;
Three-quarters cup of buttermilk;
Cake Filling Ingredients:
Two cans cherry pie filling;
Three cups of whipping cream—chilled;
One-quarter cup of confectioner’s sugar;
Shaved milk chocolate to garnish the cake;
Tips and method:
1. First preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit;
2. Line a nine inch cake pan with non-sticking paper;
3. Using an electric mixer beat butter that has been softened by allowing to
stand at room temperature and sugar together until fluffy in consistency;
4. Add one egg at a time, mixing well after each egg is added.
5. Next add sifted flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and buttermilk.
Mix well until batter is smooth with no lumps.
6. Pour the batter into the lined cake pan and bake in pre-heated oven at
350 degrees Fahrenheit until middle is set. Approximate bake time is
forty-five to sixty minutes. In order to determine if cake is done insert a
toothpick in its centre. It should come out fairly clean with only a few
crumbs. It is important that you do not over bake Black Forest chocolate
7. Once the cake is cooled take a long knife that is serrated and cut the
cake in three layers, equal in size. Tip: The cake will be easier to cut if
you keep it in the refrigerator for two to three hours.
Prepare the cake’s filling:
1. Take a colander and drain cherry pie filling in order to remove most the
2. Beat the whipping cream adding confectioner’s sugar until thick.
3. Shave milk chocolate using a vegetable peeler. Place the shaved chocolate
inside the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble the cake.
1. Place the first layer on the serving plate.
2. Spread approximately one fourth of the whipping cream on the initial
layer and add half of the cherry filling on top of the cream.
3. Add the cake’s second layer spreading one fourth of the cream on it plus
the remainder of the cherry filling.
4. Add the cake's third layer and spread another one-fourth of cream to the
top and apportion one fourth to the cake’s sides. Press the chocolate
shavings gently onto the cake’s top and sides.
• If you use three cake tins for the layers as opposed to one the bake time
needs to be reduced.
• Using traditional cake flour instead of all-purpose flour will make your
chocolate cake much lighter and fluffier.
• If you do not have cherry pie filling, you may substitute jam
To know more about cake decorating check this
cake decorating course. Also do not forget to check this popular
cake decorating tutorial.